Erik Swen SyversonPartner
Phone: (310) 988-4296
Fax: (310) 765-7730
9720 Wilshire Blvd #5
Beverly Hills, California 90212
Erik S. Syverson is a business litigation and trial lawyer specializing in internet and digital media issues. Erik is one of America's leading internet and technology attorneys. In addition to his extensive litigation and trial experience, national news media organizations frequently turn to Erik for analysis of contemporary internet law issues including CNBC, FOX NEWS, THE HUFFINGTON POST and CNN. Mr. Syverson was named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine in 2012 and 2013 — a distinction given to less than 2.5 percent of attorneys in California. In 2014 Erik was named a Super lawyer.
Erik handles litigation related to digital media, advertising and intellectual property rights for public and private companies. His cases often involve cutting edge business models that require innovative strategies and solutions. Erik's recent successes include:
- Currently representing six victims of terrorism who collectively possess judgments in excess of $500 million dollars against the countries of Iran, Syria and North Korea. In a case of first impression, Erik and his team are seeking to take possession of the country code top level domains for each of these countries as partial satisfaction of his clients’ massive judgments. Erik’s team is working in conjunction with Israeli non-profit Shurat-Hadin.
- Obtained a seven figure settlement on behalf of small businesses fraudulently induced into advertising with a web based network.
- After a five day jury trial in Orange County, Erik obtained a verdict for defamation on behalf of a law firm partner anonymously defamed by his ex-wife’s boyfriend. In addition to general damages and damages for emotional distress, the jury awarded Erik’s client six figures in punitive damages.
- Erik obtained a defense verdict at trial in favor of an outdoor advertising company in a dispute regarding an outdoor billboard lease. Erik’s client was awarded its attorney fees and the verdict was upheld after a lengthy appeal.
- Erik represented a Swedish video game company in copyright litigation against a Chinese video game company that stole the source code to the game and sold an infringing version in itunes and Google Play. Erik represented his client in New York’s Eastern District and obtained a seven figure settlement after deposing the defendant.
- Erik defended a web development company accused of copyright and trademark infringement and forced Plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss its claims after filing a motion for sanctions under Rule 11 of the FRCP.
- Currently defending a large international electronic marketplace in the largest contributory trademark infringement case in United States history with Plaintiffs seeking in excess of $100 million in damages.
- Secured a judgment for over $1,000,000 in Nevada District Court on behalf of a New York investment firm that had invested in a failed metals business.
- Successfully defended an international newspaper sued for copyright infringement related to a paparazzi photograph that appeared in the online edition. After conducting discovery and advancing a fair use defense, Erik forced the Plaintiff to accept less than $10,000 to settle the case.
- Erik obtained the dismissal of $400 million worth of fraud claims against his real estate investor client in the Northern District of Illinois related to a failed venture involving the purchase of multiple shopping malls in the Midwest.
- Obtained a dismissal of a lawsuit related to a real estate dispute filed against Erik's client based upon conduct protected by the litigation privilege. Utilized California's anti-SLAPP statute to obtain the dismissal and obtained an award of attorney fees for his client.
- Obtained several judgments and settlements on behalf of C-Suite executives and companies for internet based defamation. Often securing six figure settlements or higher and complete removal of online defamatory content.
Erik litigates and advises internet service providers with regard to federal and state statutes such as the Communications Decency Act, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, the Consumer Fraud & Abuse Act, the Lanham Act, California’s Internet Impersonation Act, the Computer Fraud Act, the Wiretap Act, and the Stored Communications Act.
In a number of cases, Erik has successfully defended a number of well-known social networks and highly trafficked user-generated content sites by invoking the Communications Decency Act and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. His successful application of such defenses and immunities has resulted in numerous early dismissals or favorable settlements of lawsuits for defamation and intellectual property infringement.
Erik has represented dozens of corporate executives, entertainers and high net worth individuals in internet defamation cases. In such cases, Erik provides a comprehensive strategy focused upon unmasking the source of anonymous internet defamation by utilizing the litigation process to remove false information from the internet. Erik’s efforts have resulted in numerous confidential settlements providing for monetary damages and the permanent removal of defamatory internet content.
Erik graduated from Loyola Law School in 2002 and earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He is a member of the California State Bar's Cyberlaw Committee and frequently conducts MCLE classes for law firms and in-house legal departments on a range of internet law issues.
Juris Doctor, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, 2002
B.A., University of Michigan, 1994
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
California State Bar Cyberlaw Committee
Beverly Hills Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
American Bar Association
U.S. District Court Central District of California
U.S. District Court Northern District of California
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
"Is Social Media Entitled to Trade Secret Protection?", Daily Journal, February 13, 2012
“Internet Defamation and Reputation Management” , Speaker, Thomson Reuters, West Legal Education Center, December 13, 2011
“Is Farmville Just a Game, or Big Brother in Disguise?” , Huffington Post, October 22, 2010
“The Coming Wave of Social Media Class Actions” , Huffington Post, September 2, 2010
Fox News Internet Law Expert, Over Ten Television Appearances